Essay RFC delayed.

Brian DeSpain brian at xao.com
Sat Aug 28 02:55:22 UTC 1999

"Eric S. Raymond" wrote:

> While I agree that this is a difference between RMS and myself, I must
> respectfully disagree with your claim that it is the one at issue here.
> Some deontists are capable of noticing pragmatically that their tactics
> aren't working.  And some consequentialists (like me) have beliefs about
> freedom as deep and passionate as Richard's.

I wasn't questioning your commitment to freedom at all. You are taking actual
out reach steps to work with the community and business - to make sure that
businesses "get it" in terms of working with the community.  Whether deontists
are capable of acting pragmatically is entirely dependent on the individual.
It has been my experience that they tend to stick to their position AND
tactics.

--

Brian DeSpain

http://www.bravenewworlds.com