Essay RFC delayed.

Eric S. Raymond esr at thyrsus.com
Fri Aug 27 07:12:37 UTC 1999

Richard Stallman <rms at gnu.org>:
> However, Eric and the Open Source movement deliberately avoid the
> issues that I focus on most: issues of principle.  They do not say
> that we deserve freedom to share and change software, or urge people
> to refuse to give up their freedom by accepting non-free software.

That's right.  If we did that, we would confuse and/or alienate
everybody but the 5% of the population wired just like hackers.  Which
is exactly what you did for fifteen years.

When you find yourself in a hole, the first thing to do is *stop digging*.
--

The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered as
the palladium of the liberties of a republic; since it offers a strong moral