Essay RFC delayed.

Derek J. Balling dredd at megacity.org
Tue Aug 24 06:33:43 UTC 1999

On Mon, 23 Aug 1999, Brian Behlendorf wrote:
> Also, I want to clarify a statement I made earlier regarding GNOME - I did
> not mean to imply it wasn't part of the GNU Project.  I still don't think,
> though, that everyone who works on GNOME does so for primarily political
> reasons, and for that reasons I question those who claim it's part of a
> "movement".  Clearly Richard, and Miguel, have a different opinion.
> That's fine.

I want to agree with Brian here. I'm not a contributor myself to GNOME,
but I suspect that many of the contributors are from the "wanting software
which doesn't suck" category more than they are the "It's freedom baby!
Yeah!" camp.

That's not to say that they are opposed to the political concept, and its
also not to say that GNOME was created with the political concept in mind.
It is simply to say that a chunk of the contributors may not necessarily
care so much about the political aspect.

Derek J. Balling          | "Bill Gates is a monocle and a white
dredd at megacity.org        |  fluffy cat from being a villain in the
http://www.megacity.org/  |  next Bond film."  - Dennis Miller