RFC soon on essay "Does Free Software Production in a Bazaarobey the Law of Diminishing Returns?"

Eric S. Raymond esr at thyrsus.com
Fri Aug 20 17:20:10 UTC 1999

Miguel de Icaza <miguel at gnu.org>:
> A problem I have with OpenSource these days is the following: even if
> these days Qt passes as OpenSource, it is really annoying for
> developers.  All of these "opensource" licenses that have started
> appearing are nothing but a big nuisance.

I agree with you.  I lobby hard for corporations to use one of the
four classic licenses (MIT, BSD, GPL, Artistic) rather than rolling
their own.  I don't always succeed.

But look on the bright side.  The APSL and the IBMPL don't create
patchwork problems.  They're a heck of a precedent.
--

A wise and frugal government, which shall restrain men from injuring
one another, which shall leave them otherwise free to regulate their