Essay RFC delayed.

Mitch Blevins mblevin at debian.org
Fri Aug 20 08:29:03 UTC 1999

Ean R . Schuessler wrote:
> Come on Eric, laugh at yourself a little. I'm just yanking your chain
> because you make yourself such an easy target.

I agree.  That last tirade against Richard was just a little bit much.
I think Eric deserves praise for all his work, and also believe that
it helpful to all of us (in sum).  But for someone who is tolerant
enough of others viewpoints to become a "media-whore", I find it quite
confusing that he would criticize Richard for simply not wanting to
be associated with a group whose ideals are not his own (yet portrayed
in the media as being the same, which can cause confusion).

> [snip]
> pps. I'll give you $20 if you'll stop saying "tribe".

I would like to add another $20 to the anti-tribe fund.  :)

> On Fri, Aug 20, 1999 at 03:37:14AM -0400, Eric S. Raymond wrote:
> > Right.  I take it you would have preferred to live in a ghetto for another
> > twenty years, watching the likes of Microsoft gradually smother the net
> > until there was no space left for people like RMS at all?
>
> [ assorted self-rightous swaggerings ]
>
> > And I'll stay glad I did no matter how many jerks sneer at me for it.
> > The price is high, but the prize is worth it.  *Despite* you.

-Mitch
--
The reason why worry kills more people than work is that more people
worry than work.