Essay RFC delayed.

Ean R . Schuessler ean at novare.net
Fri Aug 20 03:40:25 UTC 1999

On Wed, Aug 18, 1999 at 03:50:54PM -0400, Eric S. Raymond wrote:
> Richard, you should be careful what you wish for; you might get it.
>
> In your zeal to distance your doctrinal purity from the OSI's filthy
> but effective pragmatism, you are mainly succeeding in marginalizing
> both the FSF and yourself.  If you keep this up, you're going to end
> up ranting to an audience of one, in the mirror.
>
> I would not view this as a happy outcome; you have given far too much
> to our community, and have far too much more to give in the future.
> Can't you learn to accept your victory and your allies more gracefully?

Frankly Richard, I agree. You should be more of a sport. Think of the
benefits you would recieve. Look at all your other colleagues that
grew rich while you were splitting these philosophical hairs. Its not
too late! If you "play ball" the establishment can probably still
arrange for a retainer of some type, or maybe even an equity position
in some hot "Open Source" IPO!

Stop torturing yourself with these troublesome ideological positions!
What if a few companies get rich at the expense of the people? It's
inevitable anyway. Capitalize on your "brand name recognition" before
its hopelessly marginalized. Maybe Eric could be your agent! He has
certainly proven himself an adept promoter. Just look at what he has
done for his own reputation. Why, he invented "Open Source"!

> In every country and in every age, the priest has been hostile to
> liberty. He is always in alliance with the despot, abetting his abuses
> in return for protection to his own.
> 	-- Thomas Jefferson, 1814

Ean Schuessler                            Novare International Inc.

"He who permits himself to tell a lie once, finds it much easier to do
it a second and third time, till at length it becomes habitual; he tells
lies without attending to it, and truths without the world's believing
him.  This falsehood of the tongue leads to that of the heart, and in
time depraves all its good dispositions."
        --  Thomas Jefferson