Essay RFC delayed.

John Cowan cowan at locke.ccil.org
Tue Aug 17 16:36:32 UTC 1999

Jacques Chester wrote:

> [...] Brook's Law [...]

BTW, it's Brooks's law (not Brook's law or Brooks' law); the
current draft consistently gets this wrong.

> >Projects
> >
> >So what are projects, and what are their factors?  Brooks
> >example can be characterised as a project with two factors,
> >being programmers and managers.  If we hold managers constant,
> >and increase programmers, LODR tells us that productivity
> >will increase less each time another programmer is added.

Actually, Brooks's law says that productivity will *decrease*
after a certain point, not just increase less.  With the n**2
communications costs, eventually you reach a point where
adding resources is bad not just relatively but absolutely.

	John Cowan	http://www.ccil.org/~cowan	cowan at ccil.org
Schlingt dreifach einen Kreis um dies! / Schliesst euer Aug vor heiliger Schau,
Denn er genoss vom Honig-Tau / Und trank die Milch vom Paradies.
			-- Coleridge / Politzer