SGI OpenVault

Seth David Schoen schoen at loyalty.org
Tue Apr 27 17:16:54 UTC 1999

Brian Ristuccia writes:

> Problems:
>
> [...]
> * US Legislation Imperialism (7)

That paragraph is a lot worse than the Export Law Assurances paragraph in
the original APSL.

   7. Compliance with Laws; Non-Infringement. Recipient shall comply with
   all applicable laws and regulations in connection with use and
   distribution of the Subject Software, including but not limited to,
   all export and import control laws and regulations of the U.S.
   government and other countries. [...]

It requires compliance with _all_ laws of any jurisdiction, not just export
laws; depending on the legal definition of "in connection with", it might
discriminate against use of the software for an illegal purpose.  (So, for
example, it could then become a license violation to use this software to
help criticize certain governments.)

The clause which requires people to follow "all export and import control
laws" is ambiguous, and could be construed as a bizarre inclusion by
reference of _all_ trade laws in the entire world.

--
                    Seth David Schoen <schoen at loyalty.org>
      They said look at the light we're giving you,  /  And the darkness