get ready...

Paul Nathan Puri publisher at ompages.com
Thu Apr 15 06:24:47 UTC 1999

The right to contract is a constitutional one (any lawyers out there
 correct me if I'm wrong).

 To say a license may be copyrighted pits one constitutional mandate
 against another.  This is not permissible.

 One can write one's license in any manner one wishes.

 The force behind the GPL is not a legal one; it is a social/political one.

 Of course one who borrows the GPL to license one's own code would bind
 licensees to the terms of the GPL.  So in that sense it is legal in
 nature.  But as an example of a license it is merely another hypothetical
 legal form document.

 I wouldn't copy anything verbatim, however.  That invites criticisms that
 are not necessary.  One can borrow the spirit of the document in its
 entirety with careful drafting.  Copying is rarely necessary (except for
 the software notion of copying).

 NatePuri
 Certified Law Student
 & Debian GNU/Linux Monk