Get ready....

Derek J. Balling dredd at megacity.org
Wed Apr 14 20:21:58 UTC 1999

No, I think a "LicenseGPL" should be created. :)   It allows you to copy
the "meat" of the license, but not the name or identifying marks associated
with it.

e.g., you would be free to copy the GPL in its entirety, then gut out
"paragraph 10" if you so chose, but when you use it, you couldn't call it
the GPL any more.

That way, a user can look at the title of the license and know "ah, the
GPL" without having to look for changes (which I agree would diminish the
value of the GPL), but would likewise allow someone who needed to "tweak"
it for their use to create their own version, called something different so
as not to cause confusion.

Maybe even require it to be identified like:

Derek's License (c) 1999
( A derivative of Paul's License  (c) 1999 )
( A derivative of the GNU Public License (c) 1998 )

Where Paul copied the GPL with changes, and I copied Paul's with some changes.