[FLOSS-Desktops] Additional Activities

Patrick Masson masson at opensource.org
Sun Mar 19 02:48:04 UTC 2017

All,

The Siena College Urban Scholars group has motored through the complete
curriculum--NICE JOB--and is now looking for additional activities..

This is actually great news for the FLOSS Desktops program, as it
provides an opportunity to extend the lessons beyond what has been
documented in the current curriculum. I know in Schodack, we often do
not have the time in the semester for anything other than the
installation of Linux and a few desktop applications (I think once we
did get into some work in the Terminal), so there has never been a need
to develop the curriculum for any further sessions.

Anyway, here (attached) is a lesson I did for a STEM day at Schodack.
It is a very basic intro to HTML where kids can build a web page. They
start off with a very simple text file, then add elements until they
get a complete web page with pictures, videos, links, colors, etc. They
really like it and are always amazed that they can actually make a web
site.

I think this could actually cover a few days worth of exercises, and
then lead to other "programming" lessons, CSS, then Javascript etc. As
this STEM/HTML lesson is only a one day thing for me now, the CSS and
JS would need to be added if needed (that is students are moving on and
need more activities).

Hope this helps,
Patrick

--

Patrick Masson
General Manager & Director, Open Source Initiative
855 El Camino Real, Ste 13A, #270
Palo Alto, CA 94301
United States
Office: (415) 857-5398