[FLOSS-Desktops] Open Source Tour - Contact

minodoo | Tiers-lieu nomade au Togo woezon at minodoo.com
Fri Jun 16 07:55:38 UTC 2017

Le 12.06.2017 12:21, Kokou Elolo AMEGAYIBO a écrit :

> Hello Patrick,
>
> I add to the discussion Edem and Eklou, two other initiators of the OST project.
>
> It would be a pleasure to add OST to your community in order to present it to the other participants.
> What would be the next step?
>
> Regards,
> Le 10/06/2017 à 13:17, Patrick Masson a écrit :
> Hi Kokou,
>
> Thank you so much for following up, OST sounds like great work.
>
> I'm actually the General Manager and a Board Director with the Open Source Initiative (https://opensource.org), and when I saw your tweet (https://twitter.com/AKEAmazan/status/872431260949413888), I thought your project looked a lot like the work of one of our Incubator Projects, FLOSS Desktops for Kids.
>
> FLOSS Desktops is focused on a few guiding principles:
>
> * While projects like Google's "Summer of Code," "Code-in" and "Hour of Code" are great for introducing and developing programming skills to students: students can't code without computers--FLOSS Desktops for Kids gets computers to students.
> * Proprietary software reduces access to technology. Open source software extends access to disadvantaged schools and undeserved students.
> * The use of open source software provides multiple avenues for students interested in software development to engage directly in coding activities, projects and communities.
> * Exposure to open source software through the FLOSS Desktops for Kids programs, introduces open source software options to faculty and administrators at schools and districts.
>
> Our goal of the initiative is to create a community of like-minded practitioners, and a set of common resources, useful to peer projects/communities. Some of the outputs are:
>
> * A directory of programs around the world who are working on similar projects
> * A project-based curriculum for teaching computer hardware/components, software/network administration and an introduction to programming.
> * A "start-up" kid to help new adopting organizations understand the requirements for setting up a program
>
> As an organization, the OSI would like to identify these communities and the resources they need, in order to extend support. Right now we do not have a detailed understanding of the common needs that span the programs, how programs may compliment and support one another, or the qualities of the programs that ensure continuous operation.
>
> Once we can identify similar programs, assess their needs and establish criteria for viability, we'd like to offer broader support including administrative and financial.
>
> I'd like to invite you to add Open Source Tour to our community so we and the other participants can learn more.
>
> Thanks so much,
> Patrick
>
> On Fri, 2017-06-09 at 18:32 +0000, Kokou Elolo AMEGAYIBO wrote:
>
> Hello Patrick,

> [...]

Hello everyone, hi Patrick,

Koukou, I thank you for the connection.
I introduce myself quickly: Edem Alomatsi, web developer, co-founder
Minodoo, currently living in Paris for my studies in Master of IT
projects in digital transformation.
Koukou shared with us your previous discussions about the OST project