[FLOSS-Desktops] Open Source Tour - Contact

Patrick Masson masson at opensource.org
Sat Jun 10 13:17:17 UTC 2017

Hi Kokou,
Thank you so much for following up, OST sounds like great work.
I'm actually the General Manager and a Board Director with the Open
Source Initiative (https://opensource.org), and when I saw your tweet
(https://twitter.com/AKEAmazan/status/872431260949413888), I thought
your project looked a lot like the work of one of our Incubator
Projects, FLOSS Desktops for Kids.
FLOSS Desktops is focused on a few guiding principles:
   1. While projects like Google's "Summer of Code," "Code-in" and
"Hour of Code" are great for introducing and developing programming
skills to students: students can't code without computers--FLOSS
Desktops for Kids gets computers to students.
   2. Proprietary software reduces access to technology. Open source
software extends access to disadvantaged schools and undeserved
students.
   3. The use of open source software provides multiple avenues for
students interested in software development to engage directly in
coding activities, projects and communities.
   4. Exposure to open source software through the FLOSS Desktops for
Kids programs, introduces open source software options to faculty and
administrators at schools and districts.

Our goal of the initiative is to create a community of like-minded
practitioners, and a set of common resources, useful to peer
projects/communities. Some of the outputs are:
 * A directory of programs around the world who are working on similar
projects
 * A project-based curriculum for teaching computer
hardware/components, software/network administration and an
introduction to programming.
 * A "start-up" kid to help new adopting organizations understand the
requirements for setting up a program

As an organization, the OSI would like to identify these communities
and the resources they need, in order to extend support. Right now we
do not have a detailed understanding of the common needs that span the
programs, how programs may compliment and support one another, or the
qualities of the programs that ensure continuous operation.
Once we can identify similar programs, assess their needs and establish
criteria for viability, we'd like to offer broader support including
administrative and financial.
I'd like to invite you to add Open Source Tour to our community so we
and the other participants can learn more.
Thanks so much,Patrick

--
  ||  |   | || |  ||  ||  | || |  |||  |  |||

Patrick Masson
General Manager & Director, Open Source Initiative
855 El Camino Real, Ste 13A, #270
Palo Alto, CA 94301
United States
Office: (415) 857-5398