[CAVO] Compatibility of OSET and GPLv3 licenses

Lawrence Rosen lrosen at rosenlaw.com
Tue Nov 3 21:31:26 UTC 2015

CAVO folks:

I reread this in the Rationale Document for the OSET Public License [1].

Multi-Licensing:  In addition to our license, the software may alternatively
be licensed under the GNU General Public License (GPL) version 3.0 or the
GNU Lesser General Public License (LGPL) version 3.0. This is consistent
with the compatibility clauses of MPL 2.0. However, once a licensee uses the
software under either of these alternatives, and contributes changes to the
code, these downstream changes cannot be re-introduced into our code base
without the permission of the contributor.

I read this as authorizing CAVO to incorporate any OSET code and to
distribute it (and modify it!) under the GPLv3 license.

And now that they've made certain changes so that the OSET license is more
compatible with MPLv2, I'm not worried about open source compatibility.

It may be irrelevant to be concerned about their license.

/Larry

[1] http://www.osetfoundation.org/public-license/