[CAVO] Open Source for use in public elections

Lawrence Rosen lrosen at rosenlaw.com
Wed Apr 15 15:46:43 UTC 2015

[I'm moving this email to cavo@]

David Webber wrote:
> Clearly when dealing with external entities - it is certainly not good business practice to Cc: a mailing list!

Not so clearly.... Several states including California have open meetings laws relating to public government-related activities. Elections and voting systems are certainly that!

I'm sensitive to "political sensitivity" only in the context of open source software development. And quite frankly, having listened to some of these CAVO discussions over the past several months, it was the private parts that burned me up the most as being unnecessarily confidential and thus useless to the rest of us!

Let's learn to be open! Or at least, let's talk to each other openly about what it really means to be open source. That's why I'm here. What are you here for?

/Larry