[beyond-copyright] easy question to start, naming

Allison Randal allison at opensource.org
Mon Mar 28 01:29:39 UTC 2016

On 03/27/2016 06:03 PM, Brian Behlendorf wrote:
> Especially since Karl's got "question copyright.org", I've got to
> question the use of "copyright" here and second the suggestion of
> "beyond licensing".  OSI has limited itself to licensing to both great
> success but also potentially missed opportunity.  It feels like this
> could be a part of defining the next generation of OSI.

I suspect conflating Karl's suggestion with "Question Copyright" is
exactly what my brain did. So, agreed on avoiding the confusing
conflation. I've also been thinking "Beyond Copyright" might make people
think the group is about copyright reform, so it might be best to
entirely avoid "copyright" in the title.

"Beyond Licensing" does have a nice ring to it, and plays on the fact
that OSI is mostly known for license review. It also has a minimal and
exploratory feel to it, not overly ambitious or overly prescriptive on
exactly where we'll end up.

Allison