[beyond-licensing] Legal topics that FOSS projects could use more information on

Brian Behlendorf brian at behlendorf.com
Wed Jun 15 14:50:14 UTC 2016

On Wed, 15 Jun 2016, Danese Cooper wrote:
>> On Jun 15, 2016, at 7:23 AM, Brian Behlendorf <brian at behlendorf.com> wrote:
>>
>> I don't claim to have all the data here, then; how did it have the
>> right to relicense code contributed by others before that point?  Is
>> "accumulation" acquiring full copyright control to the code, or merely
>> the right to relicense?
>
> Because Mozilla doesn't aggregate copyrights they were forced to
> assemble majority agreement before relicensing. It took more than 2
> years. I know about this because Sun was the last major contributor to
> sign the agreement.

It likely took more than a mere majority of contributors, since a majority
owner of a combined work can't just relicense the parts within.  E.g. if I
write code that incorporates GPL-licensed work, I can't re-license the
whole if I wrote the "majority" of the combined work.  I'm recalling this
now, it took going back to every major and minor contributor, and then
making a calculated risk regarding anyone who didn't respond; it must have
also involved rewriting or dropping code from anyone who objected.  No?

But either way, it makes the point - relicensing, a good desirable thing
in this case, took a ton more work than it could have.

Brian