[beyond-licensing] potential practical outcomes

Richard Fontana fontana at opensource.org
Fri Apr 22 22:33:42 UTC 2016

On 04/21/2016 05:06 AM, Allison Randal wrote:

> - Program: OSaaS standard (w/ logo etc)

Really good idea. Long overdue.

> - Campaign: persuade companies to stop using "community" when they
> really mean "open source", and stop using "enterprise" when they really
> mean "proprietary"

I am not sure this is worth doing, for two reasons: (1) it's my
impression that this sort of product naming practice is now in decline -
the time to have attacked this effectively was 5-7 years ago, when I
think the practice was at its height; (2) I don't think we are likely to
have much influence on the remaining companies engaging in this practice.

Also, wasn't the real problem with that use of "community" that the
projects, or products, in question bore little relation to a
community-oriented development model?

Richard