[PublicPolicy] Open Sourcing Government Code

Shimon Shore ShimonS at most.gov.il
Tue Jun 2 12:05:42 UTC 2020

I agree that code should be published by default.

In addition to the arguments you have made I would say Open Source by default has the following advantages:
- Open Code is:
	- of better quality
	- is more secure
	- is easier to maintain
- Reduces dependency on the original programmer
- It is easier to attract high quality, younger programmers that prefer startups to government work

I like these arguments because they apply to all code - even code that is never used or looked at by anyone. They are a net benefit of the fact the code is Open Sourced. They also have monetary value to body paying for the development.

Some answers to your points are below.

Yes

> > I am specifically looking for arguments for governments to open source
> > their code beyond the moral argument (ex. Public Money, Public Code).
>
> Can you clarify with of the arguments you consider moral? E.g. the short four
> ones from publiccode.eu:
>
> * Tax savings - Similar applications don't have to be programmed from scratch
> every time.

This applies more to using Open Source and a lot less to publishing Open Source.

> * Collaboration - Major projects can share expertise and costs.

Applies to a relatively small number of projects.

> * Serving the public - Applications paid by the public should be available for
> everyone.

Moral