[License-review] Fwd: For Approval | Open Source Social Network License 1.0
Kevin P. Fleming
kevin+osi at km6g.us
Fri Mar 27 18:41:46 UTC 2020
On Fri, Mar 27, 2020 at 1:16 PM Syed Arsalan Hussain Shah
<arsalan at buddyexpress.net> wrote:
> There are other license approved by OSI exists that allows to display a prominent display https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_Public_Attribution_License
> ....a prominent display of the Original Developer's Attribution Information […] must occur on the graphic user interface employed by the end user to access such Covered Code.....
> I am trying to figure out a license that allows
> - To retain copyright notices
> - To retain attributions notice
There are many approved licenses which require copyright and
attribution notices to be retained. What is at issue here is this:
1. Must they be retained in source code distributions?
2. Must they be included in binary distributions?
3. Must they be presented to the user of the software in any fashion?
(1) is quite common and completely acceptable.
(2) is also quite common and completely acceptable.
(3) is not common, and by common interpretation of the OSD it is not
acceptable because it disallows a particular type of modification of
the software. OSD-compliant licenses allow recipients to make any
modifications they wish and to distribute those modified versions.
More information about the License-review