[License-discuss] Updating the PHP license

Ben Ramsey ben at benramsey.com
Sat May 18 19:21:53 UTC 2024

Hi, all!

Over the years, there have been a few discussions on this list regarding the PHP license. Other parts of the open source community (e.g., Debian) have had lengthy discussions and disagreements regarding the license, as well. The TL;DR sentiment of all these discussions amounts to: change the license to something well-understood and less problematic.

So, that’s what I’m proposing to do in a new RFC I’ve drafted for the PHP project: https://wiki.php.net/rfc/php_license_update

I’ve not opened this up for discussion within the PHP project yet, since I’m still collecting feedback, and that’s why I’m sharing it here. I’ve put a lot of work into presenting what I think is a sound and well-reasoned argument for this change, and I’m asking for feedback from this group regarding the method and theory I’m using to go about it.

Thanks in advance!

Cheers,
Ben