[License-discuss] Curious about derived works and AI...

Shuji Sado shujisado at gmail.com
Sun Jun 2 02:42:09 UTC 2024

Unlike common law countries such as the UK and the US, Japan adopts a
statutory law system.
Therefore, Japan needed to amend its Copyright Act to promptly address
copyright issues as machine learning technology became practical.
I understand that the current Japanese Copyright Act aims to comply
with the three-step test established by the Berne Convention and the
WIPO Copyright Treaty, protecting creators' rights while ensuring that
AI system developers are not discouraged from using copyrighted works.

As a result of the 2018 amendment to the Copyright Act, the act of
training AI systems and the act of generating content are judged
separately for infringement.
The act of an AI system learning from various copyrighted works is
generally considered legal under Article 30-4 of the Copyright Act,
but if a trained AI system outputs content similar to a copyrighted
work and that output is used, it is illegal. For example, if an AI
system trained on GPL code generates code similar to that GPL code,
using that similar code under a license other than the GPL would
obviously be a license violation.

Yes, there are pros and cons to allowing AI systems to learn from
copyrighted works without permission. I am also deeply troubled by
this issue.
However, when a time comes when everyone naturally possesses an AI
system they can control, and if asked, "What is the difference between
an AI learning and a human learning using their brain?" I can only
answer, "In the framework of copyright, there is no difference."

Perens-san,
I listened to your Post-Open lecture at the OpenUK event. It was an
interesting talk. However, I also thought it is a very long journey.
At least, it is not a problem that can be solved by the mechanism of
licensing(not contract) alone.
I understood that the focus is on the issue of the imbalance of
interests between Big Tech and small communities, but it also seemed
like a problem that cannot be solved by any single technology or idea.
Personally, I believe we have to steadily promote a free and fair
system in every aspect, step by step.

--
Shuji Sado
Chairman, Open Source Group Japan