[License-discuss] Request for feedback: public specification licensing

Simon Phipps simon at webmink.net
Tue Jul 16 16:38:26 UTC 2024

Hi!

On Tue, Jul 16, 2024 at 5:09 PM Roland Turner via License-discuss <
license-discuss at lists.opensource.org> wrote:

> It's not a revenue question. The important issue is that all copies of
> an interoperability standard must say the same thing, or
> interoperability itself is defeated.

Having watched the recent debacle at ISO over Schematron, PDF and other
specs, and observed the impassioned positions of the various standards
entities arguing within the ISO special committee on free availability of
specifications, I can assure you that it's very much a revenue question for
the *de jure* standards organisations who are still living in a prior
millennium and funding their activities from its norms.

Cheers

Simon