[License-discuss] The ambiguous scope of the Apache License 2.0 patent grant

Nicholas Matthew Neft Weinstock nweinsto at qti.qualcomm.com
Tue Mar 7 19:53:40 UTC 2023

Here's how I think about it.

Let's say a patent claim has 5 elements.  That means you need all 5 things to "infringe" the patent.

Situation A: The project already has all 5 elements of the claim.  I make a contribution to a different area of the project, unrelated to the functionality of those elements.
Situation B: The project has 4 elements of the claim.  I make a contribution that adds the last element of the claim.
Situation C: The project has 3 elements of the claim.  I make a contribution that adds the 4th element of the claim.  3 months later, someone else makes a contribution adding the last element of the claim.

GPL 3.0 has the defined term "Contributor Version" that includes all the functionality when the Contributor has added their Contribution, but no subsequent Contributions (applies to A and B, not C).

EPL 2.0's wording "This patent license shall apply to the combination of the Contribution and the Program if, at the time the Contribution is added by the Contributor, such addition of the Contribution causes such combination to be covered by the Licensed Patents" only applies when the contribution adds the last element (applies only to B, not A or C).

It is not entirely clear what the Apache 2.0 language is intended to cover.  I have heard arguments for B only, A and B, or all three.

-Nick