[License-discuss] License pages cleanup project underway

Brian Behlendorf brian at behlendorf.com
Wed Apr 5 06:51:22 UTC 2023

On Tue, 4 Apr 2023, Stefano Maffulli wrote:
> Indeed, the license-discuss archive seems to be fairly complete. We
> can't find  the archives (if they exist) of board discussions where
> licenses were formally approved, if such proof of approval existed in
> the first place.
>
> Does anyone have a recollection of how the board approved and kept
> records of approval besides messaging license-discuss? Does anybody
> remember how the board operated, where they kept records of their
> decisions in the 1998-2007 timeframe?

There was (presumably still is) a board at opensource.org email list. As one
of the original board members I was on it and have archives of that list
since Nov 1998. However I am not sure I saved everything - I tend to be a
packrat with email but may have not kept up with all threads - but I'm
certain I saved everything I sent to that list since that's automatic. We
are talking thousands of emails here. So, if I were to prepare them to
share, I'd need time to properly review to make sure that whatever tool I
use to autoselect these and package them into mbox files for someone
doesn't accidentally sweep in other things unintended to be shared. I also
would only be comfortable sharing it with the current members of the OSI
board, since in looking through them I see items that are marked
ATTORNEY-CLIENT PRIVILEGE where the client was the OSI board. There's also
a lot of petty personal drama and fireworks that thankfully the OSI is 20
years past and would be completely not worth revisiting. So a further
stage of review by a board member would be necessary to know what's in
there. I can take this on but I am wary of giving time frames for how
quickly I can deliver.

Also, I believe I have archives of most things sent to
license-discuss at opensource.org since 19 Apr 1999 which I believe must be
soon after it was created. As that was a public list I have fewer qualms
about who to share that with, but likewise I'd need some time to be sure I
was sharing only what's shareable.

Brian