[License-discuss] Clarity on Licensing for SaaS

Thorsten Glaser tg at mirbsd.de
Fri Oct 21 18:59:46 UTC 2022

Kevin P. Fleming dixit:

>For the vast majority of OSI-approved licenses, the activities you
>noted above do not trigger any license obligations because you are
>only using the software and not distributing it. A notable exception
>is the AGPL family of licenses, which extend the 'distribution'
>definition to include 'providing access to the functionality of the

And, of course, anything that *is* distributed to the user.

This usually encompasses all frontend code (ECMAscript), but also
if the backend code exposes copyrightable parts of itself, such as
large help messages.

In general, making available a list of shoulders you stand on is
considered good code provenance hygiene.

bye,
//mirabilos
existence.		-- Coywolf Qi Hunt