[License-discuss] [License-review] in opposition of 'choice of law' provisions in FOSS licenses (was: For Approval: Open Logistics License v1.2)

van de Westelaken Janneke (C/LSC-IPL2) Janneke.vandeWestelaken at de.bosch.com
Thu Dec 22 16:49:35 UTC 2022

Dear David,
____________
> But in fact it is not true: when entering into force, new regulations
> (like, i.e., the GDPR) apply to all running contracts, regardless of
> their date of formation. In addition, in the the

But isn't the GDPR closer to criminal law, rather than civil law, i.e.
you cannot contract out of it, and it can be enforced by government, or at least quasi-governmental bodies, unrelated to the parties involved.
___________

I tend to say the GDPR is neither nor, at least in my jurisdiction one would most probably refer to the GDPR as being administrative law, with a different specific set of rules and regulations to obey to in case of disputes.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Best regards

Janneke van de Westelaken

Intellectual Property, Contracts and Legal Consulting (C/LSC-IPL2)
Robert Bosch GmbH | Postfach 30 02 20 | 70442 Stuttgart | GERMANY | www.bosch.com
Tel. +49 711 811 18503 | Mobil +49 173 7082864 | Telefax +49 711 811 33182 | Janneke.vandeWestelaken at de.bosch.com

Sitz: Stuttgart, Registergericht: Amtsgericht Stuttgart, HRB 14000;
Aufsichtsratsvorsitzender: Prof. Dr. Stefan Asenkerschbaumer; Geschäftsführung: Dr. Stefan Hartung,
Dr. Christian Fischer, Filiz Albrecht, Dr. Markus Forschner, Dr. Markus Heyn, Rolf Najork

On 21/12/2022 14:47, Patrice-Emmanuel Schmitz via License-discuss wrote:
> But in fact it is not true: when entering into force, new regulations
> (like, i.e., the GDPR) apply to all running contracts, regardless of
> their date of formation. In addition, in the the

But isn't the GDPR closer to criminal law, rather than civil law, i.e.
you cannot contract out of it, and it can be enforced by government, or at least quasi-governmental bodies, unrelated to the parties involved.

The opinions expressed in this email are those of the sender and not necessarily those of the Open Source Initiative. Official statements by the Open Source Initiative will be sent from an opensource.org email address.

License-discuss mailing list
License-discuss at lists.opensource.org
https://eur03.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Flists.opensource.org%2Fmailman%2Flistinfo%2Flicense-discuss_lists.opensource.org&data=05%7C01%7Cjanneke.vandewestelaken%40de.bosch.com%7C5d0a5e9cee8440c771fe08dae378b38e%7C0ae51e1907c84e4bbb6d648ee58410f4%7C0%7C0%7C638072404789346466%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C3000%7C%7C%7C&sdata=AYaT7MMZnIEaJ9i8ciFlq4QVzypnqJd9BbEjSQz7Yzk%3D&reserved=0