[License-discuss] Retroactively disapproving licenses

Nicholas Matthew Neft Weinstock nweinsto at qti.qualcomm.com
Thu Dec 15 19:00:45 UTC 2022

Without commenting on WHETHER any licenses should be deprecated/disapproved/legacy, nor on WHICH licenses are appropriate candidates, I would like to suggest a consideration related to HOW to do so.

One of the parts of my job is reviewing commercial contracts.  Some of those contracts include references to Open Source.  For example, they might say something like "Supplier will provide a list of all 3rd party software included in the product that is under an Open Source License."  Or "Contractor may only use 3rd party code subject to an Open Source License, not Commercial or Freeware licenses."  In the majority of these contracts, the definition of an "Open Source License" references the list of OSI-Approved Licenses.  I think this is a good thing for OSI, as it enhances the organization's public image and influence.

I think it is understood that the list of OSI-Approved Licenses evolves.  It is reasonable that new licenses would be added from time to time, and if a license owner retires or supersedes their own license then it is practical to remove them at the owner's direction.  But if the people responsible for those commercial agreements hear even a SUGGESTION that some existing licenses might be removed by OSI (regardless of justification given) despite still being supported by the license owner, I could see them start to question the stability and reliability of the OSI-Approved Licenses list.  "I'm using BSD-licensed code, and they just took BSD off the list of OSI-Approved Licenses.  What does that mean?  Do I need to remove BSD-licensed code because it's no longer acceptable?  Am I free to use BSD-licensed code without identifying it?"  They might look for an alternative, such as the SPDX license list.

My suggestion is to think of the official list as a historical statement.  This is a list of licenses that OSI has ever approved.  Then within that list, maybe there could be a designation for licenses that the OSI board no longer supports.

Regards,
Nicholas Weinstock
Patent Counsel
Qualcomm Technologies, Inc.