[License-discuss] Retroactively disapproving licenses

Pamela Chestek pamela.chestek at opensource.org
Wed Dec 14 19:47:18 UTC 2022

To do some foreshadowing, the Working Group that was formed to make
recommendations for improving the license review process will soon be
publishing its recommendation. This was originally within their remit,
but the group agreed that it was complex enough (and frankly I think we
were all a little tired at this point) that it should be a separate
undertaking. Personally, I think the OSI has to tread carefully to avoid
unintended consequences and therefore needs to have a lot more
information before deciding whether and how to delist a license, such as:

How many projects are using the licenses
How significant they are
How many downstream users there are, and whether they have relied on the
status as "open source" in some way, e.g., suddenly a component will
have to be removed because it no longer has an "open source" license
Whether anyone is doing marketing around the term "open source" for a
license considered for delisting

I'm sure with more thought there is other information that would be
relevant.

So McCoy, are you volunteering to head up a working group to work on
this question? 😁

Pam
Chair, License Committee
Open Source Initiative