[License-discuss] Question about AGPLv3 with a Plugin Exception

McCoy Smith mccoy at lexpan.law
Thu Aug 11 04:25:38 UTC 2022

Yes, it is a subset. But it has the advantage of being one place where quite a number of exceptions are reposited, which makes it a bit easier to look at a number of drafting examples for exceptions.
I of course did not say "look at this site that has a lot of AGPL exceptions for APIs" so I'm not sure why you want to criticize the reference on that basis. I will note that the SPDX Exception site does list the Classpath Exception (https://spdx.org/licenses/Classpath-exception-2.0.html) and  the GCC RTL Exception (https://spdx.org/licenses/GCC-exception-3.1.html), of which you say you were a "key drafter," so I'm not sure why you think that site should be dismissed. There are of course many other exceptions for things like linking on that site which -- at least by analogy or as a starting point for drafting -- might be of use. Many of the are also written for the *GPL family of licenses, including *GPLv3.

FWIW, I'm not aware of any specific "API" exception (for AGPL, or any of the *GPL licenses), which may be a function of the position taken by, inter alia, the Free Software Foundation that "Frankly, in the free software community, everyone always assumed APIs themselves weren't copyrightable." https://www.fsf.org/blogs/community/who-ever-thought-apis-were-copyrightable-anyway (the OSI said similar things in its amicus brief https://www.supremecourt.gov/DocketPDF/18/18-956/128321/20200113120624750_18-956%20Amici%20Curiae.pdf ) Alas, the outcome in Google/Oracle didn't validate that position (although it arguably came pretty close and the situation outside the USA is more along those lines).

Which, in response to Joel's original question, if Joel's looking for a plug-and-play exception for this specific situation, there probably is not one readily available. Joel might want to engage a lawyer for some drafting advice. Since Joel is in Oregon, as am I, I can recommend someone if Joel wants to do that.