[License-discuss] Fwd: Should fork a project on github be seen as distribution of origin project?

Alex Rousskov rousskov at measurement-factory.com
Wed Aug 3 13:16:00 UTC 2022

On 8/2/22 07:33, なつよるほたる wrote:

> I found an interesting project protected by Apache-2.0 in github. Now I
> want to modify some functions and some new features to develop a new
> software based on the original project. Naturally I want to fork it and
> start my coding, but there is a confusing thing, should I fulfill the
> obligation of *Redistribute with  Modification, *especially the 2.nd
> term, changelog related.

You must honor licensing terms. However, the terms do not _require_ you
to waste your (and others) time on polluting every modified source file
with an ever-growing list of humans and bots that have touched it. The
lawyers should not have relied on an overly specific term "file" in a
general-purpose software license, but they gave us enough wiggle room to
work around their shortcomings.

For example, IMO, the "prominent notice" may come in a form of "See the
NOTICE file for details about this software modifications." text
included in the beginning of every file (and the corresponding NOTICE
file where you do record your name). This works especially well if you
distribute your software via a version-control system that publishes
every modification as metadata (e.g., GitHub).

Cheers,

Alex.