[License-discuss] Fwd: Should fork a project on github be seen as distribution of origin project?

なつよるほたる touyamanaojp at gmail.com
Tue Aug 2 11:33:31 UTC 2022

Hello,

I found an interesting project protected by Apache-2.0 in github. Now I
want to modify some functions and some new features to develop a new
software based on the original project. Naturally I want to fork it and
start my coding, but there is a confusing thing, should I fulfill the
obligation of *Redistribute with  Modification, *especially the 2.nd term,
changelog related.

   1. You must give any other recipients of the Work or Derivative Works a
   copy of this License; and
   2. *You must cause any modified files to carry prominent notices stating
   that You changed the files; and*
   3. You must retain, in the Source form of any Derivative Works that You
   distribute, all copyright, patent, trademark, and attribution notices from
   the Source form of the Work, excluding those notices that do not pertain to
   any part of the Derivative Works; and
   4. If the Work includes a "NOTICE" text file as part of its
   distribution, then any Derivative Works that You distribute must include a
   readable copy of the attribution notices contained within such NOTICE file,
   excluding those notices that do not pertain to any part of the Derivative
   Works, in at least one of the following places: within a NOTICE text file
   distributed as part of the Derivative Works; within the Source form or
   documentation, if provided along with the Derivative Works; or, within a
   display generated by the Derivative Works, if and wherever such third-party
   notices normally appear. The contents of the NOTICE file are for
   informational purposes only and do not modify the License. You may add Your
   own attribution notices within Derivative Works that You distribute,
   alongside or as an addendum to the NOTICE text from the Work, provided that
   such additional attribution notices cannot be construed as modifying the
   License.

Best regards,
Aaron