[License-discuss] OSI as guarantor for "or later" *GPL clauses

Dirk RIEHLE dirk at riehle.org
Wed Oct 27 08:00:15 UTC 2021

On 27.10.21 09:26, Enrico Zini wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 08, 2021 at 04:53:09PM +0200, Enrico Zini wrote:
>
>>> Yes the idea is interesting.
>>> So you avoid giving a "blank check" to the FSF by giving another to OSI...
>>> I assume that both organisations are safe :-)
>>
>> My intention is actually to avoid giving a blank check to any
>> organization: a new version of the GPL would have to be published by
>> FSF, but for it to be considered valid for my code it'd need to be OK-ed
>> by OSI.
>
> Hello, no reply after a month and a half.
>
> Would OSI be happy being used as such a guarantor, and if so, could some
> of you help wording the addition to the license statement?

I doubt you'll get a definitive answer on this list.

If you want an upfront clarification, you'll probably have to get it before
the board. How to do that I didn't check.

Or, you just design your license and wait until the problem happens for the
first time.

Cheers, Dirk

--
Confused about open source?