[License-discuss] OSI definition

Nigel T nigel.2048 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 25 14:13:35 UTC 2021

This thread consists of the list offering consensus that your license fails the OSD and you replying “nope, you guys are all wrong”

Sorry, but you don’t get to define what the OSD says or even what OSI’s historical interpretation of the OSD...aka the spirit of the law.

And you also don’t get to define who are people...even if corporate personhood is somewhat gray, given they have some of the same constitutional protection as natural people I’m inclined to give them the benefit of the doubt until SCOTUS definitely rules otherwise.

So let’s recap...your license attempts to deliberately exploit an ambiguity in the letter of the OSD that has been understood by the community to mean you don’t get to restrict who gets to use open source, including companies we don’t like, to attempt to violate the spirit of the OSD.

Yeah, no.

Nice try though...