[License-discuss] OSI definition

Gil Yehuda tenorgil at gmail.com
Fri Jan 22 15:39:03 UTC 2021

Mat, I have questions to raise aloud:
1. Would this license comply with OSD?
2. Should the OSI licensing board consider the above question?
3. Who does this benefit and how?

The first question hinges upon the interpretation of the license text. It’s
not carefully worded, requiring you to explain the actual terms. If anyone
can use this for anything, then how does this really differ from a BSD
license (other than some extra text about company size that has no apparent
utility to the license)? If however, the license does restrict some form of
use, then it’s not OSD compliant. That’s obvious.

The second question is one purpose of this discussion list: to socialize,
promote, and discuss proposals that might become actual submission to OSI.
The feedback so far is consistent and clear. This license does not appear
ready to be submitted for actual consideration.

So the third question: what’s the motivation? In some ways this license
reminds me of the Chicken Dance License (CDL)
https://github.com/supertunaman/cdl. It’s a BSD-style license with some
added text that reveals more about the license author and nothing about the
license value. CDL might even be OSD compliant (perhaps accommodating for
people who can’t perform the chicken dance, etc.). But why bother?

At the end, I think you succeeded at pointing to a potential
misinterpretation of the OSD terms. Rather than presenting a license that
tries to demonstrate this misinterpretation, maybe we just need a footnote
or FAQ to clarify (if it is indeed unclear) that not restricting field of
use means just that. If people can use the code for their company, then
their company can use that code. There’s no wrinkle in the process that
results in forbidding a permitted use.

Gil