[License-discuss] Does GeoGebra meet the Open Source Definition?

robert.pollak at posteo.net robert.pollak at posteo.net
Sun Feb 21 14:45:06 UTC 2021

Dear list,

the math teaching software GeoGebra calls itself open source software
([1], last section). However, in 2013 parts of the files in GeoGebra's
repository were re-licensed to be only for noncommercial use:

> 4. The GeoGebra language files (including all user interface
> "translation" files in the GeoGebra application and applets), all
> GeoGebra documentation (including  "GeoGebra Help", "GeoGebra
> Quickstart" and all other documentation files found on the GeoGebra
> webservers) and all GeoGebra user interface image and style files
> (including logos, icons and style sheets) are licensed to you under
> the terms of the Creative Commons
> Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike license (version 3.0 or later)
> [...]([1], section "Non-commercial License Terms")

Since then, neither Debian nor Ubuntu have packaged new versions [2].

On the OSI webpage, I found some report from 2014 stating "GeoGebra:
Potential issue with GPL" [3]. Does anyone know of a followup? Does
GeoGebra meet the OSI Open Source Definition?

The main question seems to be whether it would be feasible to remove and
replace the noncommercially licensed files, and whether this would be so
much work that it could be "restricting any party from selling or giving
away the software", missing OSD criterion 1 "Free Redistribution".
On the one hand it restricted the (mostly hobbyist) Debian contributors,
on the other hand it seems to have successfully restricted commercial
re-sellers/re-branders of the software (which could have been the
motivation for the license change).

Best regards,
Robert

[1] https://www.geogebra.org/license