[License-discuss] Question about Python 2.0 license

Gregor Hoffleit gregor at hoffleit.de
Sat Feb 13 21:22:56 UTC 2021

You're right, Candice. I didn't read down until there, my fault.

This is a very important difference indeed.

The wording of this paragraph as used on the OSI site made the license incompatible with the GPL, from the point of view of the FSF (since it makes this license governed by a state law). This wording was used in Python 1.6b1, 2.0 and 2.1: [ https://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.en.html#PythonOld | https://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.en.html#PythonOld ]

Earlier versions of Python didn't have this problem, they were compatible with the GPL: [ https://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.en.html#Python1.6a2 | https://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.en.html#Python1.6a2 ]

Due to this problem, the license was changed later on in Python 2.0.1, 2.1.1 and all newer versions to the current wording, which again is compatible with the GPL: [ https://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.html#Python | https://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.html#Python ]

For the "Python-2.0" license text on the OSI site:

- this is not the license of Python 2.0 (although quite similar)
Python 2.0: [ https://www.python.org/download/releases/2.0/license/ | https://www.python.org/download/releases/2.0/license/ ]
OSI: [ https://opensource.org/licenses/Python-2.0 | https://opensource.org/licenses/Python-2.0 ]

- it looks incompatible with the GPL (due to the paragraph 7)

- it looks somehow older than the Python 2.0 and even 2.0b1 licenses (since it incorporates the CNRI portion of 1.6b1)

- but then, the license is issued by the Python Software Foundation ("PSF") which means it is later than 2.1.

At the moment I'm lost to see where this license text comes from.

Best regards,
Gregor Hoffleit