[License-discuss] Modified Apache License

VM (Vicky) Brasseur osi-lists at vmbrasseur.com
Sun Feb 7 20:31:00 UTC 2021

Mark Thomas wrote on 7/2/21 03:27:
> Hi Stuart,
>
> Can I suggest that you give your new license a name to clearly
> distinguish it from other licenses, particularly the ALv2?

+1 to this suggestion…

> Downstream users of your open source products need to describe the
> licenses of their dependencies and they don't have an easy way to refer
> to your license. My primary concern is that they could end up creating
> their own name for your license that is confusingly similar to the ALv2.
>
> Something like the "Disney Open Source License, version 1" maybe?

…but -1 to this suggestion, unless they submit the license & it's
approved as an open source license (which I suspect it may have a good
chance of doing, unless people push back due to license proliferation
concerns).

"Disney Open License v1.0" would accomplish the same goal w/o muddying
the waters about what is/isn't open source.

--V