[License-discuss] Modified Apache License

Mark Thomas markt at apache.org
Sun Feb 7 11:27:58 UTC 2021

Hi Stuart,

Can I suggest that you give your new license a name to clearly
distinguish it from other licenses, particularly the ALv2?

Downstream users of your open source products need to describe the
licenses of their dependencies and they don't have an easy way to refer
to your license. My primary concern is that they could end up creating
their own name for your license that is confusingly similar to the ALv2.

Something like the "Disney Open Source License, version 1" maybe?

Regarding whether or not the ASF is likely to accept your change as an
amendment to the ALv2, I can't provide a definitive answer but I suspect
that the amendment would be more restrictive than the ASF would wish. If
you want to pursue that, the ASF Legal Jira instance is the best place
to ask that question and get a definitive answer:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/projects/LEGAL

Kind regards,

Mark

Mark Thomas