[License-discuss] Modified Apache License

Langley, Stuart Stuart.Langley at disney.com
Sat Feb 6 23:47:54 UTC 2021

Hello all, this is my first attempt at posting something new so we'll see how it goes.

Disney has been using a modified Apache license to release software.  We have not yet sought OSI recognition of this modification.  I've been hesitant to present this for consideration because the modifications are so minor.  The concern is that the Apache 2.0 is too ambiguous for our taste about trademark rights.  The modified language is:

Amending Apache license language &  file headers. New text: Copyright 20XX <INSERT BUSINESS ENTITY>Licensed under the Apache License, Version 2.0 (the "Apache License")with the following modification; you may not use this file except incompliance with the Apache License and the following modification to it:
Section 6. Trademarks. is deleted and replaced with:6.   Trademarks. This License does not grant permission to use the tradenames, trademarks, service marks, or   product names of the Licensor and its affiliates, except as   required to   comply with Section 4(c) of the License and to   reproduce the content of the NOTICE file. You may obtain a  copy of   the Apache License athttp://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0Unless required by   applicable law or   agreed to in   writing, software distributed under the Apache License with the above modification is distributed on   an   "AS IS" BASIS, WITHOUT WARRANTIES OR   CONDITIONS OF ANYKIND, either express or   implied. See the Apache License for the specific language governing permissions and limitations under the Apache License.

I would appreciate your thoughts.  The distinction about trademarks is important to us, and should be to others who are concerned about losing control of their trademarks to "reasonable and customary" use allowed by Apache 2.0.  Would a license like this be a valuable enough distinction from Apache 2.0 to merit a separate license?

Stuart T. Langley