[License-discuss] Licenses for commercial products

McCoy Smith mccoy at lexpan.law
Tue May 5 14:37:37 UTC 2020

The potential for treble damages is for patent infringement (see 35 U.S. Code § 284); copyright infringement willfulness damages has a cap that is calculated differently (see 17 U.S.C. § 504(c)(2))
Note, of course that all of this is only in the USA.  AFAIK, other jurisdictions don't have enhanced damages for willfulness (although my non-USA colleagues can correct me if I'm wrong).
Copyright registration is also a USA-only phenomenon.  We had a mini-session at LLW 2019 about the copyright registration requirement in the USA and the non-USA participants found it quite surprising and hard to understand its rationale.