[License-discuss] Please don't remove the AAL license

Russell McOrmond russellmcormond at gmail.com
Mon Mar 30 16:14:00 UTC 2020

On Sun, Mar 29, 2020 at 1:33 PM Hillel Coren <hillelcoren at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I saw this comment "[the license] does not appear to be used for any
> currently available/working software", that simply isn't true. I'm one of
> the co-founders of Invoice Ninja, we use this license and think it's a
> great fit for us.
>
> https://github.com/invoiceninja/invoiceninja
>
> I'm more than happy to have an open discussion about it.

For clarity, what does "remove the AAL license" mean to you?

If it was no longer on the list of OSI approved licenses, that doesn't mean
you can't still use that license.  It only means that the OSI no longer
considers the license sufficient for calling a software project using that
license to be Open Source.

I'm worried that some people believe the OSI owns these licenses, and that
if the OSI no longer considers a license to be approved that people are
somehow restricted from continuing to use that license.