[License-discuss] Generic process for removing approved licenses. Re: REMOVE AAL from list of approved licenses

McCoy Smith mccoy at lexpan.law
Mon Mar 30 16:00:58 UTC 2020

This is similar to my take on the matter (as articulated in my unsuccessful
Board candidacy platform:
https://wiki.opensource.org/bin/Main/OSI+Board+of+Directors/Board+Member+Ele
ctions/2020+Individual+and+Affiliate+Elections/Smith2020 )

On your license proliferation concern, I think that ship sailed along time
ago when the license proliferation committee didn't remove any licenses back
in '06 when it did its report. https://opensource.org/proliferation  I doubt
that position would have changed since then, and the result of the LP
committee report - to have certain categories for licenses, including a few
that sort of say "this is open source and approved, but there are better
options on the list you should consider," but no removal of any - seems to
be the preferred solution.  It would be interesting to study whether the
results of the categorization had any appreciable effect on the adoption of
licenses afterwards.  In particular, did adoption of the licenses on the
"Licenses that are redundant with more popular licenses" tail off after
2007?  Seems like maybe not, at least for the AAL.