[License-discuss] How can we as a community help empower authors outside license agreements?

Tobie Langel tobie at unlockopen.com
Sun Mar 22 18:01:33 UTC 2020

On Sun, Mar 22, 2020 at 4:26 PM Russell McOrmond <russellmcormond at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Sun, Mar 22, 2020 at 9:18 AM Tobie Langel <tobie at unlockopen.com> wrote:
>
>> I've pointed to a twitter poll answered by 1200 people  and a blog post
>> of a fairly influential figure in the web space as evidence of interest in
>> these issues. Others on this list have pointed at the result of the OSI
>> election to show the same. I'm yet to see evidence of the opposite.
>>

> I would be interested to actually see the poll question.  All I've seen
> offered is one possible interpretation of a question. It is possible that I
> might have answered in a way that clarifies that I have an interest in
> these issues -- and my interest in these issues is exactly why I strongly
> oppose the proposed tactics as I believe them to contradict the stated
> goals.

Sure thing, here it is: https://twitter.com/tobie/status/1225351606100799488.
I've answered a couple of questions about it on my candidate page already:
https://wiki.opensource.org/bin/Main/OSI+Board+of+Directors/Board+Member+Elections/2020+Individual+and+Affiliate+Elections/Langel2020?viewer=comments#xwikicomment_2

wrote:

> On Sun, Mar 22, 2020 at 9:18 AM Tobie Langel <tobie at unlockopen.com>
> wrote:

I'm sorry, but being concerned with the ethical impact of technology in
>> general and open source software in particular doesn't make me a "proponent
>> of ethical source," whatever that means. Again, if you choose to engage
>> with my emails and wish to start a conversation, please address what's
>> written, not what you believe I "seem to prefer" or write "as a proponent
>> for ethical source."
>>

> [snip]
>

> Your answer suggested that you believe those who are opposed to what the
> "ethical source" group are trying to do aren't "concerned with the ethical
> impact of technology in general and open source software in particular".

I'm not sure what makes you think that from what I wrote and that's
actually not an opinion that I hold at all.

--tobie