[License-discuss] How can we as a community help empower authors outside license agreements?

Tobie Langel tobie at unlockopen.com
Sun Mar 22 12:20:51 UTC 2020

On Sun, Mar 22, 2020 at 1:13 AM Nigel T <nigel.2048 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 20, 2020 at 7:03 PM Tobie Langel <tobie at unlockopen.com> wrote:
>

>> I’m not arguing this point of view. I’m reporting on a point of view
>> commonly held within the community.
>>

> Repeated assertion doesn't show that this is a "commonly held" view.

I've pointed to a twitter poll answered by 1200 people  and a blog post of
a fairly influential figure in the web space as evidence of interest in
these issues. Others on this list have pointed at the result of the OSI
election to show the same. I'm yet to see evidence of the opposite.

> I have said nothing as to whether I share this point of view or not (I
>> actually hold a much more nuanced position), and I’d greatly appreciate if
>> you didn’t respond to what you believe that “[I] seem to prefer,” but
>> instead to what I actually wrote. It would really help keep the
>> conversation friendly and productive.
>>

> It has been exceedingly rude for the ethical source folks to hijack the
> open source term. I think that the conversations been very tolerant given
> the current state of affairs...with a couple notable exceptions and I have
> only addressed what you have written as a proponent for ethical source.

I'm sorry, but being concerned with the ethical impact of technology in
general and open source software in particular doesn't make me a "proponent
of ethical source," whatever that means. Again, if you choose to engage
with my emails and wish to start a conversation, please address what's
written, not what you believe I "seem to prefer" or write "as a proponent
for ethical source."

Thanks!

--tobie