[License-discuss] How can we as a community help empower authors outside license agreements?

Gil Yehuda gyehuda at verizonmedia.com
Fri Mar 20 22:59:19 UTC 2020

Tobie
One day my grandchild will ask me "what did you do to fight genocide in
your day?" I hope to be able to give a better answer than "I helped make
sure to put an anti-genocide clause in my source code licenses."

She'll ask "that's all you did?" and I'll say "no, dear, I made sure that
the license was still OSI-approved."

I think part of the issue here is that in the face of real human issues,
this seems like a misuse of energy. Licenses manage the use of copyright
rights. We fight genocide with laws, with armies, maybe a good protest or
two?

Gil Yehuda: I help with external technology engagement