[License-discuss] How can we as a community help empower authors outside license agreements?

McCoy Smith mccoy at lexpan.law
Fri Mar 20 21:44:50 UTC 2020

From: License-discuss <license-discuss-bounces at lists.opensource.org> On Behalf Of Tobie Langel
Sent: Friday, March 20, 2020 9:55 AM
To: license-discuss at lists.opensource.org
Subject: Re: [License-discuss] How can we as a community help empower authors outside license agreements?

I agree. Currently section 5 and 6 are vague (in particular the term "field of endeavor") and imho an ethical licenses could be written that complied with the OSD.

Field of Endeavor is a pretty well established term in the law.  See, inter alia, In Re Richard M. Deminski, 796 F.2d 436 (Fed. Cir. 1986).

If there’s an ethical license that satisfies the OSD (particularly 5 & 6), I have yet to see one.