[License-discuss] How can we as a community help empower authors outside license agreements?

Tobie Langel tobie at unlockopen.com
Fri Mar 20 15:30:01 UTC 2020

On Fri, Mar 20, 2020 at 2:00 PM Russell McOrmond <russellmcormond at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 18, 2020 at 12:24 PM Tobie Langel <tobie at unlockopen.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Yeah, I wasn't clear enough, sorry. I believe the OSI should seek to be
>> broadly representative of the overall open source community and the broader
>> population which is affected by open source.
>>

> Honest question, but how are you defining "overall open source community"
> in a way that it includes people that don't already agree with the core
> values that define open source?

The open source community is the community of people that contributes code,
documentation, tests, policy, etc. to open source projects and/or chooses
to use such projects. As such, they also get to define what the core values
of open source are. There isn't some kind of gatekeeper mechanism that's
there to decide what those values are or who gets to decide who is part of
the open source community and who isn't.

--tobie