[License-discuss] How can we as a community help empower authors outside license agreements?

Gil Yehuda gyehuda at verizonmedia.com
Thu Mar 19 18:42:57 UTC 2020

Tobie

> I believe that to many open source practitioners, the meaning of open
source is much broader than the OSD.

It's even more complicated. The term _open source_ is also used by the
intelligence industry too, and means something very different. Looking for
open source jobs in the greater Washington DC area yields two unrelated
clusters of jobs! All the more reason to ensure we have a clear and
unambiguous definition that we can use when using the term in our more
formal settings.

We all understand that "open source" is more than a license. It's a set of
many facets.[*] But when speaking about licenses, there's value in a clear
OSD.

> Clearly implied there is a broader set of values that are necessary to
meet the spirit of open source than just following the OSD to the letter.

The open source movement has been reluctant to codify all its facets into a
fixed definition. For example: Open Source implies a development
methodology that involves many people from different places working
together. The best projects have that. However the OSD does not require it.
A solo developer can publish an open source project and refuse to accept a
pull request. It misses the spirit and intent, but meets the definition.

Is this a flaw? I'm not sure there's a better alternative. OSD is a floor
for licenses, not a description of the movement. Maybe OSI can clarify this
by having a prosaic description of intent and some of the features of more
successful projects as a distinct document from the OSD. But writing that
is different than changing the OSD.

> ...but most practitioners have never heard of the OSI or the OSD.

This is true and a call for a louder and stronger OSI. I hope OSI gets more
support and encounters less opposition. There are many other important
foundations (Apache, Linux, etc.) in the constellation of non-commercial
neutral entities that help the movement overall. I perceive these groups
work well together. Stable growth and promotion is better than revolution
and the newsworthy kerfuffles.

>... nor do I believe most open source practitioners have heard of the term
"source available." I hadn't until fairly recently.

OK, so maybe this is something worth exploring and socializing. ESM appears
to me to be more similar to Source Available in that both seek to leverage
most of the facets of open source, but employ a restriction of some sort.
Whereas the motivations differ, the modality is similar. It's worth
exploring what those folks have done (and they've done quite a bit in the
past year), that I think there's something to gain from this.

So instead of "let's fight Open Source" or no, now "let's change Open
Source" let me suggest "let's figure out where we best fit in the
collection of open-culture movements."  (which frankly includes more than
open source).

Footnote:
[*] I recently wrote about this in the 3rd of a 4 part blog post here:
https://www.linkedin.com/in/gilyehuda/detail/recent-activity/posts/. I
suggest that over time we evolved from ethos to add concerns related to
license, compliance, development model, economic model, business model,
influence, marketing, community, sustainability, and inclusivity etc. Each
of those are important to consider.

In my training slides I highlight that open source is a legal workaround, a
development methodology, a faith movement, a marketing bullet, a public
collection of code, something to put on your resume, ways to keep busy on
the weekends, and ways for companies to commoditize their competitors, and
for software purchasers to avoid vendor-lock in. It's all that and more.

Gil Yehuda: I help with external technology engagement