[License-discuss] How can we as a community help empower authors outside license agreements?

Russell Nelson nelson at crynwr.com
Wed Mar 18 14:50:46 UTC 2020

On 3/17/20 6:14 PM, Tobie Langel wrote:
> If OSI is to be the custodian of open source, it needs to be
> representative of the open source community at large. Not based on a
> winner takes model, which is, by definition, not representative.

Sure, but Ethical Software isn't Open Source. That's what we keep
telling you. If you want to prevent "unethical" entities from using your
software, you are separating yourself from the Open Source community.

I want to emphasize that there is nothing wrong with wanting to insist
on ethical use of your software. *Nothing* wrong with that. But it's not
Open Source.